Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Classic movie introduction for the girls


I have a problem. I love to watch my favorite movies when things get a little hectic. Pride and Prejudice, Ann of Green Gables, Little Women, and so on. They have a calming affect on my day. It is wonderful! I can remember the first time I watched each of these movies with clarity. For example, my mom rented Ann when I was sick in 7th grade and I was mesmerized! Pride and Prejudice: I remember laying on the floor with big pillows with Paige and Mom fast forwarding through the commercials because she had taped it off BBC!

Here is my problem. I want the girls to have the same moment of being totally absorbed in a wonderful movie they are watching for the first time! But if I keep watching these movies as they grow up I'm afraid they will just think of them as, well the same thing I think about Perry Mason*. (Sorry Mom)

At some point I will have to go on a "movie's to be saved for the future" fast and go without for a while. Sacrifice my little "escapes from reality" (and possibly my sanity) so that my Corie, Evie, and Brooks will one day say "I remember when we had a campout in the living room and watched ______ and I was obsessed with it for weeks!"

* I do however, remember being very small the first time I watched Star Wars. I have very skewed memories of what I thought it was about. But when I watched it again when I was older I was still as star struck, so to speak, as everyone else so maybe I am over reacting.


The girls and Pooh Bear watching Winnie the Pooh

No comments:

Post a Comment